The Scriptures and Abortion

I have heard a few people say that the Bible doesn't say anything about abortion. In response, here are a few passages that speak directly to the personhood of a fetus and the practice of abortion.

Psalm 139:13–16  Certainly you made my mind and heart; you wove me together in my mother’s womb. I will give you thanks because your deeds are awesome and amazing. You knew me thoroughly; my bones were not hidden from you, when I was made in secret and sewed together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw me when I was inside the womb. All the days ordained for me were recorded in your scroll before one of them came into existence.

Luke 1:41–44  When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.She exclaimed with a loud voice, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child in your womb! And who am I that the mother of my Lord should come and visit me? For the instant the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

Matthew 1:23  “Look! The virgin will conceive and bear a son, and they will call Him Emmanuel,” which means “God with us.”

Isaiah 49:1-3 Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the LORD called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name. He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver. He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”

Job 31:15  Did not the one who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us in the womb?

Jeremiah 1:5  “Before I formed you in your mother’s womb I chose you. Before you were born I set you apart. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations.”

Ecclesiastes 11:5  Just as you do not know the path of the wind, or how the bones form in the womb of a pregnant woman, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.

Genesis 16:11  Then the Lord’s angel said to her, “You are now pregnant and are about to give birth to a son. You are to name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard your painful groans.


Genesis 25:21–22  Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife because she was childless. The Lord answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant. But the children struggled inside her, and she said, “If it is going to be like this, I’m not so sure I want to be pregnant!”


The First Fetal Homocide Law
Exodus 21:22–25  “If men fight and hit a pregnant woman and her child is born prematurely, but there is no serious injury, he will surely be punished in accordance with what the woman’s husband demands of him, and he will pay what the court decides.But if there is serious injury, then you will give a life for a life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.


Romans 9:10–11  Not only that, but when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our ancestor Isaac—even before they were born or had done anything good or bad (so that God’s purpose in election would stand, not by works but by his calling)—


Galatians 1:15  But when the one who set me apart from birth and called me by His grace was pleased.


Psalm 22:10–11  I have been dependent on you since birth; from the time I came out of my mother’s womb you have been my God. Do not remain far away from me, for trouble is near and I have no one to help me.


Why we speak out.


Proverbs 31:8–9  Open your mouth on behalf of those unable to speak, for the legal rights of all the dying. Open your mouth, judge in righteousness, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.


Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder."


Exodus 23:7 ... do not kill the innocent and the righteous, for I will not justify the wicked.


Psalm 106:35–38  They mixed in with the nations and learned their ways. They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them. They sacrificed their sons and daughters to demons. They shed innocent blood— the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan. The land was polluted by bloodshed.


Jeremiah 2:34–35  Even your clothes are stained with the lifeblood of the poor who had not done anything wrong; you did not catch them breaking into your homes. Yet, in spite of all these things you have done, you say, ‘I have not done anything wrong, so the Lord cannot really be angry with me any more.’ But, watch out! I will bring down judgment on you because you say, ‘I have not committed any sin.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GLORY OF GOD

Seven Lame Excuses Christians Use When Confronted For Their Bad Behavior:

Ray Rice and Domestic Violence